Thursday, October 21, 2010

Apple Pie



Nice and simple apple pie.

So I was looking at pie crust recipes in my King Arthur Flour Book (The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook by Brianna B. Sands)

Ken Haedrick's Three Grain Butter Pastry

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal (preferably stone ground) [I used Quaker]
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (or at flour) [I used Quaker rolled oats]
1 1/2 cup Flour (I used Gold Metal)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
14 tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk
3 1/2 to 4 1/2 tablespoons ice water [each type of flour absorbs water differently, for what Gold Metal flour I used about 6 tablespoons of water]

Put cornmeal and rolled oats into a blender and pulse the machine, on and off, until oat flakes are reduced to small flecks; a few remaining larger pieces are fine. (Do this only if using rolled oats rather than oat flour)

Transfer to a larger bowl and stir in the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients. It should resemble coarse bread crumbs with some larger pieces the size of a pea.

Beat egg yolk and 3 tablespoons of water and sprinkle over mixture. If the dough is too dry and one tablespoon at a time until it holds together and is damp, not tacky.

refrigerate 1/2 hour before rolling out.

For the filling I used 6 Granny Smith apples, sprinkled with some sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a bit of ginger, and dropped a little butter over the top.

I also rubbed the top crust with water and the covered it with cinnamon-sugar.

I baked it at 450f for 15 minutes and then lowered the oven temp to 350f for 15 minutes.

I did bake it for 8 more minutes, it could have gone longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment